My First Car

My First Car
This is the second day of ownership. It was late september of 1987- i was 17

Same girl- New dress

Same girl- New dress
Still my first car, but with improvements. This shot was taken in 1991. Dad and i stripped off 3 prior paint jobs and got it to bare metal. We took off every piece of trim and removed all the glass before it went to the paint shop and was sprayed in 1991 Corvette Turquoise Metallic

Monday, January 11, 2010

Next project- polishing door sills and replacing door panels. I picked up upper and lower door panels and sills from an 85 Monte Carlo on craigslist for $20. The sills have no pitting and only a few minor scratches and dents. I'm going to sand off the anodizing and straighten them so i can polish them up.

My 79 was a pretty low buck car and had a bench seat and manual windows/locks. So the new door panels have carpet on the lower section and are cut out for the pwr window switches. No cracks or damage. Good replacements. I already have the lower panels shot in Black and now i'm just trying to figure out what to do with the upper panels. They are velour and you can't paint that and make it look like anything. Besides, i didn't really like the look of them. So i am trying to come up with a pattern to do some sort of raised black vinyl design. I'll use the left over vinyl from the console. in the meantime, i'll just retrofit the metal brackets for the window switches into my existing upper door panels until i get it figured out Not sure what to use to make the raised panels.

No comments:

Post a Comment