My First Car

My First Car
This is the second day of ownership. It was late september of 1987- i was 17

Same girl- New dress

Same girl- New dress
Still my first car, but with improvements. This shot was taken in 1991. Dad and i stripped off 3 prior paint jobs and got it to bare metal. We took off every piece of trim and removed all the glass before it went to the paint shop and was sprayed in 1991 Corvette Turquoise Metallic

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Whew! Im so tired of sanding aluminum and paint. Well, over the last couple days i have been doing some work. I finally have the interior all completed. I took the Monte Carlo door panels and sprayed the lower portions in black, then i attached the power door lock metal retainers and cut my existing upper door panels for the power window retainers. The Monte Carlo panels were from an 85 and had a loose piece of rubber weatherstrip attached to the lower door panels- so, even though my first 79 and this current car didn't have that rubber, i thought i would put it on anyhow. Why not!

I started the body work today too. I found myself bored and with nothing to do so i started stripping off the stainless wheel well trim and lower rocker panel mouldings. Then I broke out the heat gun and took off the mouldings/door gaurds. What a pain that was. But, it got me thinking that i don't remember my first 79 having those on the car, and when Dad and i stripped the car to metal, i didn't see any evedence of those being on it. But from what i can tell, the moulding on this car looked original as they were cut and moulded very specifically to this car. So, If you have a plain Jane el camino, it probably came with these moulding on it as this car was very basic- bench seat, manual windows and locks, and the smallest of the small V-6's.

As i was sanding body panels, i found out this car was originally all white and not two toned. But during its life it has received two paint jobs. The first was the upper and lower parts of the car were painted a royal blue (the interior was originally blue), and then later on it got painted black and silver. But what really got me was that the lazy S.O.B never took off a single piece of trim when it got painted..... BOTH times. Really, how hard is it to take off wheel well trim..... (six screws). It always bothers me to see when cars get painted and the body guy can't seem to remove any trim pieces.... its pretty simple and makes for a better paint job. And is some cases, the time you spend masking off the trim takes longer than simple removing the piece. And if you are worried about clips and retainers.... well.... spent $20 on new ones and take the pieces off!

Tomorrow, im breaking out the BIG air compressor and the pnuematic long board sander. I wore myself out last night playing drums on Rock Band and sanding today, so i'm looking for some easy work. I would like to get the passenger side of the car sanded down and squirted with a little primer since the car is backed in my single car garage and that is the only side i can work on right now. Then its off to mom and dads for sunday dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment